Friday, December 21, 2007

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM MIKE


Dear Carron -

Did you survive the snow and ice? I haven't heard from you so I was afraid that you might still be snowed under! How's it going?

I'm finally learning my way around here and I have to say, it's a very unique place to live! Working in such close proximity to theIraqi Operations Command here in Baghdad really gives one a different perspective on the War (my thoughts have greatly changed since arriving). The organization that I work in is very interesting and provides the opportunity to get out the office and the International Zone (IZ) as we move throughout the city to attend meetings, inspect check-points, and see Soldiers with the Iraqi Three Star General (LTG Abud) that we advise. I'm quite impressed by LTG Abud since there have been numerous attempts on his life in the past six months, and he still gets out on the roads.

I've attached a photo from the mission that I went on Wednesday; behind me in the photo is one of seven or eight Palaces (Al Faw Palace) that Saddam had in and around Baghdad. The US and the collation forces have occupied most of the Palaces and use them for Headquarters.

Being out on the roads is probably the most hectic/dangerous part of what I do; however, in a way it sure makes me feel young again. I really prefer to fly; however, LTG Abud doesn't care for flying, so we are moving around in small convoys.

I finally found a way to get on the Blog Site (hoorah) and just saw that we lost two great Americans back at home. It's never easy to say goodbye to a loved one or friend, and I wish to express my sincerest condolences to Dave Cox, Todd Schoon, their families, and friends. Although Kathy & Brad passed too early in life, the obituaries certainly described two Americans that worked hard, loved their families, and lived life to its fullest. From what I read, it is apparent they made an impact on everyone around them, and I'm confident that their spirit will continue to live in all they touched.

Take care, stay in touch, and please hold all of the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines in your thoughts and prayers as we roll through the Holiday Season. Although I've only been in country for three weeks, the feeling by all the Service Members over here is that the Country is behind us and supports what we are doing.

In closing, I would like to wish then entire of the Class of 1981 and their Families, a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Please let me know if anyone needs anything from this part of the World and I will get it headed back that way! My unclassified (NIPR) email address, and my US Cell Phone (MCI) number is located in my signature block below, stay in touch and just remember that I'm 9 hours a head of you in Iowa!!

Cheers,
Mike

Michael T. HauserLTC,
GS Deputy Chief,
BOCAT4th Infantry Division,
"Steadfast & Loyal"

DSN: 318-239-7725
SVOIP: 243-2448
MCI Cell: (914) 360-2944
NIPR: mike.hauser@iraq.centcom.mil
SIPR: mike.hauser@s-iraq.centcom.smil.mil
CENTRIX: mike.hauser@centcom.mcfi.cmil.mil

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Mike, and have a Happy, wild? AND SAFE New Year!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda - Thanks for the note! Great to hear from you. I have one mission tomorrow night and then a quite Christmas Day (I hope)!! Take care and I hope you and your family have a great Holiday season!

    ReplyDelete