Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I just wanted to tell you what last night meant to me. I have never been so moved in all my life. I watched TV from sun-up to sun-up! I could not go to sleep.

Then, this morning on TV, I saw MLK, Jr., giving his "I Have A Dream" speech and, again, I was moved to tears. I am a white and lower-middle-class and I was brought to tears.

For me, this is a historic day because, never in my lifetime, did I ever think I would see an African-American in the White House. Sad, but true. I always thought and hoped we had come further than that, but never believed it until last night. This is all about making the unbelievable come true more than about policy or politics.

I don't care if you're black, white, gay, straight, Democrat, Republican, rich or poor. I just hope you all love America and being an American. I know there are lots of us who were not so proud to be an American the past eight years. I know there are lots of us who do not want endorse Obama now or admit to being an American because of his being elected. All I hope is that we can all come together.

Please afford me the opportunity to expound a little on MLK's speech. I sincerely hope that the children I know will not be judged on who they sleep with, where they go to church, the size of their wallet, who they vote for, the color of their skin, or the news channel they watch! I want my children, and myself, to be judged on how they treat other people (and by the content of their character - which is in direct correlation to how they treat other people.)

I am, obviously, a Democrat. I just hope that EVERYONE will give their perspective, either in a comment or an e-mail to you, and share how they feel because I know you will share all points of view. I know you're frustrated with the blogsite, but it CAN be a way for all of us to come together. And, we are just a small little group of people from little ol' Anamosa, Iowa.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you!! You took the words right out of my mouth and I am an independent. Carron, please feel free to post this e-mail. I know we all have our opinions, but let's just have fun on the blogsite. Whether it's opinions about politics or vaginas or whatever...... we all have them.... get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't have said it better. The tourch has been passed to our
    generation, he is our bridge to
    better relations with other nations. Thank you to all our military men and women for affording us the privilege to vote.
    What a historical night!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete