Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Carron,
The photos were taken at the Pow Wow, which we traditionally do at each gathering of this nature (Spring Fellowship, Sectional Conclave, National Conclave, etc…)
I belong to a group that is part of the Boy Scouts of America called the Order of the Arrow, which is the Honor Society of Scouting. Much of the OA is directly tied to Native American culture and heritage and each Chapter is asked to try and emulate the tribes in their local region. Our Chapter has adopted the Great Plains tribes for their main focus of study. I have chosen the Cumberland River basin tribes for my particular studies for various reasons, so my Regalia (Outfit) is based on that information that I have gathered.
The Pow Wow is a great way to show off your Regalia and just dance around with fellow Scouters without fear of being ridiculed for the lack of rhythm. I have to tell you that over the past three years, I have had the most glorious time with this whole Native American Studies part of Scouting and my children have been involved as well which makes it that much more enjoyable.
I have enclosed a picture of my son Josh (in red) and daughter Brooke (in pink) at one of our meetings practicing one of the dances that we perform for other groups.
Merry Christmas to you and yours,
John Starr

2 comments:

  1. OK, John, here is my history memory...tell me how I am doing...

    Cumberland River - Tennessee.

    Native American tribes - Shawnee and Cherokee?

    Tell us more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I see something about you lately, John, I'm impressed with your civic-mindedness and how devoted you are to the things you set your mind to!

    Have a great holiday season with your family!

    ReplyDelete