Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Carron,

Okay, you got me. I haven't purposely not written. It just seems I always get wrapped up in other things or it slips my mind. I have immensely enjoyed the blog with everyone's photos and happenings in their lives. I greatly miss being back in my home town, though the last time I was there it looked but a shell from the good ole days.

Well, I live in a small western PA town. I moved here after I retired with 20 years in the US Army Special Forces (AKA Green Beret) I loved the military, my fellow Band of Brothers, the travel and all, but it got too much being away from my family. My wife and I have been married 21 years now and we have two boys. Keith, 18 a freshman at Temple University in Philadelphia, and Lucas, 16 a Junior in High School.

I spent 8-9 months on the average every year away from them. After retiring from the military, I dabbled in a few things like construction but it was a dead end. I needed something more cerebral. I did enough physically demanding stuff in the military. So my wife and I decided I should use my VA benefits and go to school. Fortunately, there is a small University nearby so I went to it (Clarion University of PA) I received my BSED in Social Studies (let your Dad know). I was fortunate that while I attended school I landed a pat time job as the Clarion County Veterans Affairs Director. A great job if it would've only paid more.

Anyway, I now teach History in a small rural school that graduates about 40 a year, yeah I said 40. I really love it. As soon as I get some recent photos scanned I'll send them out for the world to see.

I'm sure you and the rest will say you kind of recognize me except that I use to have more hair, at least I think that's what it's called. Oh well, I like myself so it doesn't matter. Some in the photos I saw I recognized rather easy, others, well, it took me a while.

Please feel free to pass this along, and I promise to write often.

Best Wishes,

Ernie (Hartwig)
ephartwig@alltel.net

2 comments:

  1. Holy crap!! Ernie Hartwig, come on down!

    It is so cool hearing about what happened with old classmates and seeing how their lives turned out. The last 25 years must have been quite an adventure for you! Which reminds me - I need to check in with Mike Hauser again. I'll bet the skiing in Colorado is awesome right about now!!

    If you were with the Berets, did you ever go to any of the Flintlock exercises at RAF Sculthorpe? I was there with the Air Force from 85-89 and watched quite a few HALO and LALO jumps from up in the tower. A little bit of everything actually!

    Glad you stopped by....don't be a stranger! I'll be looking for those pics from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ernie, I know what it's like to re-invent yourself after the mil. Are you in the troops to teachers program? I hope you have found your ideal job. Still looking for mine...

    ReplyDelete