Sunday, November 12, 2006

Carron,

Today I was in Anamosa for the 12th annual Veterans Day program at the High School.
They honor vets who have served the military and the years of service at the school.
Tim Hollett heads the program and the student council are involved in the presentation.
It is such a wonderful event. I wish more people would attend.

The thing is that I didn't even know they did this until we got a letter stating that my
Dad was going to be honored and that we would receive his certificate. Some other
Vets, and I'm sorry I won't remember all of them, were a Hartwig man, Dr. Poulter,
Mr. Hugh Shaw, Mr. Biere, Curt Duwe and my Dad. There were 10 I think.
It was soooo emotional.

There were other speakers and one who presented Mike Duetmeyer with a really
neat print. Mike apparently donated two huge stones to this company and for the
life of me I can't remember why these guys needed the stones--God it had
everyone in tears--so here I am tripping up on the huge sad story he's telling
and I know he's talking about how Mike so generously donated these stones
and I completely missed the meaning.

So Mike is called to the stage and he's accepting this really nice print and he
had a hard time fighting through the thank yous. Really cool! Really cool!
It was great and made you just feel so proud of our men and women fighting
for our freedom.

Jeez it gives me goose bumps just writing this to you. They also had military
people stand who were in the audience and we'd applaud on our feet. It definately
brings attention and a HUGE reminder that these are REAL people and the
war is so REAL and how brave they truly are. The band played and the choir sang.
My niece Jen presented the certificates (what a big girl--aw) and my nephew
Jared handed them to the honoree. I just wish Dad was here to accept his
own award. Jon, Jeff and I thought we would have our Uncle (Dads brother)
who also is a vet and also a retired P.E. teacher/coach from Waukon
accept the award. More tears!!! It was great!!!

As you can tell I'm just so proud and I thought it might be nice for you to

post this on our blog not only, but including, the presentation for Mike,
but for our classmates who are vets and our classmates still in active duty.
I know there are several from the class of 1981. Know that we are so
proud of you and give BIG thanks to ALL you do for we the people!!!
God bless you and your families. And God Bless America!!!!!!


Lots of love

Kathy Alderdyce ;-)

5 comments:

  1. Hey, Kathy...
    I enjoyed reading your account of the Veterans' Day celebration at the high school! I hated to miss it...I think it was four years ago that I was last there, and the gym was so packed it was definitely standing room only.

    My hubby, Randy Williams, is a vet (USMC); my brother, John, is a vet (Air Force and current Reserve member); and my dad was in the Army. You are right -- it's a very emotional day! No dry eyes...
    So glad your dad was honored! I know it's hard losing a beloved parent, but there is comfort knowing others remember and honor your loved one.

    By the way, your niece Jentri and my son Bryce are good friends. She's a doll! :-)

    Hello to everyone from the Class of 81...please visit our site as well (same address but insert "80" instead of "81"). We're just getting it going and hope it's half as successful as this one!

    Cheers,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to attend one these cermonies one day! I saw plenty of action this weekend, mostly with my fellow American Legion members - parades, flag ceremonies (including one at the DFW Nat'l Cemetary, veterans tributes and parties. It's always emotional!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, how nice for your family. You must be so happy and so proud.

    And, Mike D. - I always knew you were a good man with a big heart. Way to go.

    Carron

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was subbing at the Middle School the Monday after Veterns Day. It was so neat! The entire school attended an assembly put on by the students (5-8th grade). The Principal led everyone with the Pledge of Allegiance; a small choir of kids sang the National Anthem; a short clip on Vetern's Day was shown; a couple of students played Taps; the principal shared with the students his pride for those who are both living, and for those who have passed on; and of the brave and courageous people out fighting today for our freedom. It was awesome! I didn't realize schools did that! The entire student body sat silently throughout the assembly!

    ReplyDelete